Website Manager

Cure Poison Ivy

A homemade remedy of vinegar, baking soda cures poison ivy

August 29, 2011 10:47 am  •  By Paula Vogelgesang

My son had to use the following remedy after tangling with poison ivy one weekend when there was no doctor available.

Mix a small amount of vinegar with enough baking soda to make a paste with the consistency of peanut butter. Stand in the shower and wet yourself all over.

Turn off the water and with a wet washrag, scrub the paste all over yourself as hard as possible. As welty and itchy as my son was, he said this felt really good.

After scrubbing, rinse off the paste thoroughly.

Pat dry after the shower and then apply straight vinegar all over your body with a clean washcloth. Let dry.

We did this for four days and the itch and welts were completely gone.

Our doctor told us that poison ivy or oak is the same as a chemical burn. If you come in contact with either plant, everything you are wearing must be washed. He said that most laundry detergents and dish soaps work well but it has to be labeled "grease cutting!"

Also, all of the bedding needs to be washed, too.

The doctor also stated that if you come in contact with either the ivy or oak, the poison can stay on your shoes or anything else that touches it for up to a year.


Article published here:

Copyright © 2021 Sportfriends Soccer Club  |  Privacy Statement |  Terms Of Use |  License Agreement |  Children's Privacy Policy  Login